Tallarin Verde (green pasta) is a variation on one of my favorite dishes – Tallarin a la huancaina (which I will need to link another day). In short, Tallarin Verde is the Peruvian version of pesto pasta. It’s delicious, fresh, and it does really well with your favorite steak. I tweaked this recipe and loved it! Keep reading to try mine:
- 2-3 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh, packed basil leaves
- 1/4 block queso fresco
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 saltine crackers
- 1/4 package uncooked thick spaghetti
- Cook the thick spaghetti in a pot of salted water, according to the package instructions. Set aside.
- Cook red onion in olive oil until tender. When cooled, transfer to a blender or food processor.
- Once a large pot of salted water has boiled, add spinach and basil and cook just until wilted (under a minute). Using a strainer, transfer the basil/spinach mix to the onion mixture.
- To the food processor/blender, add evaporated milk, queso fresco, garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper, crackers, and a little bit more olive oil
- Pulse until smooth, and transfer mix to a pot. Cook until simmered and add spaghetti. Toss and serve with your favorite steak! Top with extra, fresh basil if desired.